Investment Banking Analyst Cover Letter
Investment Banking Analysts perform research and gather information that helps traders and fund managers take decisions related to investments. This job is suitable to someone who can handle large amounts of complex information and who can determine investment potential as accurately as possible. Common work activities for an Investment Banking Analyst include researching market data, updating their knowledge of market trends, monitoring their clients’ finances, analyzing cash flow, reading financial news, preparing reports for client use, and making recommendations to fund managers.
Based on our collection of cover letter samples for Investment Banking Analysts, the most sought-after skills for this job are:
- Business acumen and finance knowledge
- Analytical skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Presentation abilities and self-confidence
- Being able to work under pressure and to meet tight deadlines
- Research skills and commitment to further study
- Computer competences
The following cover letter sample presents comparable Investment Banking Analyst assets.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Investment Banking Analyst Resume Samples.
For more information on what it takes to be an Investment Banking Analyst, check out our more complete Investment Banking Analyst Job Description.
Dear Ms. Cross:
As a highly accomplished investment and financial analyst and advisor with extensive experience conducting in-depth research, analyzing market trends, and managing client account activities, I am well prepared to surpass your expectations. With this in mind, I invite Toledo Financial to consider the enclosed resume as you look to fulfill the Investment Banking Analyst role.
In my most recent position as an analyst with Equity Financial Group, I performed in-depth industry research and analysis while building sophisticated valuation models to identify optimal investment decisions, resulting in high rates of return and lasting client partnerships. My demonstrated success in advising senior bankers on effective investment strategies—along with my expertise in financial trends and tools—positions me to make a significant and positive impact on your firm.
Highlights of my experience include the following:
- Serving as the lead analyst on more than $1.8B in completed transactions, including buy/sell-side advisory and debt issuance.
- Developing 60+ presentations and pitch books for client executives and board providing strategic financial and investment advice.
- Constructing a range of financial models including 3-statement merger, accretion/dilution, LBO, IPO, and DCF.
- Analyzing portfolio and investment performances and reviewing client assets to determine reallocation and/or necessary amendments.
- Demonstrating confidence, leadership, and superior communication skills to interact effectively with clients and senior bankers while propelling portfolios to top performance levels.
With my background in investment and portfolio analysis and management, combined with my inherent understanding of market performances and issues, I am ready to provide outstanding financial service within your organization. I look forward to discussing the position with you in further detail.
Lawrence E. Jennette
Proofreading your investment banking cover letter
Be absolutely sure your cover letter is free of any spelling or grammatical errors. Having an error could result in an automatic ding from the bank. Investment banking requires such extraordinary attention to detail, that if your cover letter or resume contain any errors it may be an easy excuse to pass on to the next candidate. If you have time, have someone else read your cover letter as sometimes it’s hard to find your own typos.
Once you land a first round interview at the bank, be sure to check out our investment banking interview guide. This guide is based on a real template used at a bulge bracket bank to hire new analysts and associates. For additional practice, you may want to look at our equity research interview questions as well. The key to investment banking interviews is good preparation and practice.
More career resources
We hope this has been a helpful guide to writing you investment banking cover letter. Please be sure to download our free template and see our additional resources to help you land a job in IB: